Wednesday, May 14, 2008

classes, resumes & jobs oh my

College is suppose to be the best time of your life...of course after high school. Well I thought the these are the best years of your life was a crock then and I still think it is now. Apparently, who ever thought that up didn't consider the time, work and money that you have to put into going to school. I swear that if I don't find a great job when I'm done with this hussle and bussle, then I'm going to the university's door and demanding my money and life back. To find a job you need a resume and to build a resume you gotta have the classes and organizations and volunteer work and so on and so on(but fit it on a page) So I'm sweating the resume because do to my situation I may not have what everyone else has. Plus I didn't go intern at some great PR firm. Here is what I have been doing and will be doing in the fall...first though I must say that I have other obligations on top of school. I am married, mortgage and house, two dogs and both my husband and I work and go to school full time. In the fall I will be in PRSA, honorary fraternity for the department, editorial board for The Heartland View and will be in The Vagina Monologues for my third year. Is this enough though?? Had I had the means I would have done so much more in college.
Speaking of means. Where's the funding? I have been on academic honor roll since my return in '06 and my husband and I make less that 30,000 combined and yet we get no pell grant. Between the two of us we will own another house in school debt by the time we are done. Thank you President Bush for cutting educational funding.
So this may sound like a rant and a rave but it is nerves. This fall I will be done and I have no idea what lies ahead for me and if what I've done will be enough. Here is hoping.
Thanks for reading
~Amanda Nelson

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Amanda-

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I hate that students can be so involved in school, yet a lot of times that can get overlooked. Vagina Monlogues? who cares! PRSSA? Who cares! Northwest Missourian? Who cares!
I totally see where you are coming from.
Not to mention, I just got engaged and though I won't be getting married until we're both graduated, I've already started worrying about newlywed debt. It must be such a struggle for you and your husband.

Good luck, and thanks for posting.
Whitney Keyes